Wednesday 27 October 2010

Il Fornaio Brunch Review - Part II @ 2 Acland Street, St Kilda

The shot I was aiming for in my first post
We returned to il Fornaio the second time, in hopes of catching the ever elusive Snickers dessert. So since we  failed to catch it the last time (due to us arriving when the kitchen closed), we decided that the next visit would be done early! Brunch early!

Breakfast/ Lunch menu
Look! A menu!! This time we had a very charming waiter, who was very pleasant and easy to talk to. Armed with magazines and the Boy's iPad, we were ready for a nice day along the beach (we did take a stroll on the very crowded beach).


We asked the waiter, "Will you have the Snickers dessert today? Now?"

Waiter, "Snickers? Of course! How many would you like? Just one? Excellent"


We placed our orders for our main meal and drinks (a caffe latte and a mocha)


The Boy decided to stick with breakfast and ordered the il Fornaio Benedict (poached eggs, smoked ham and hollandaise $ 15)

Hand rolled potato gnocchi
I decided to go with lunch and ordered the hand rolled potato gnocchi with lamb ragu, marjoram and black olives $21 (also available on the dinner menu $24)


The Boy clearly loved his eggs Benedict and only allowed me a tiny taste... and I absolutely loved the gnocchi and the lamb ragout... oh my.. that Lamb Ragout.. was AMAZING... delicious, with the flavours all working together to bind the sweet sweet gnocchi in the mouth... *sigh*

Now on to the dessert...

Wait a minute, where's the dessert?

Well....

Just before our dishes were served, a rather sheepish waiter came by our table...

"Madam, so sorry. I've just been told that the Snickers will only be ready at 3pm."

I smiled sweetly at him... and vowed to give them another chance... One more time, eh... Third time lucky?

I'll catch them, at DINNER!!!

For my previous encounter and to fully understand the irony, please read Part I.

*Disclaimer: All food ratings are purely based on my own experiences and how I feel about the service, food and quality





Food/ Cuisine: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Dessert - Australian/Contemporary
Dining Style: Cafe/ Restaurant
Overall Food Rating (Based on the Dining style): 8/10 (That ragout sealed my fate and smoothed my temper)
Restaurant ambiance: 7/10
Service/ Attitude: 6/10 (still staying the same)
Value for money: 6/10 (for $21, I was hoping the gnocchi dish would be a lot more)

Address:
2 Acland Street
St Kilda VIC 3182

Tel:(03) 9534 2922


Il Fornaio is open from
Monday - Friday 7am-11pm
Saturday & Sunday 8am - 11pm (closed from 5pm-6pm)


How to get there:

View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. damn, thats annoying. lucky the ragout was awesome ey? hopefully ur a fan of "snickers" since its a super rich + gourmet version =). and make sure you try the fondant/poached pear also... well you really gotta try the whole dessert menu HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almostalwaysravenous: It was an awesome ragout! Worth going back there for! The desserts are coming up in the next post :)

    ReplyDelete

Share this with your friends!

Popular Posts