Monday 28 September 2009

Singapore Chom Chom @ Bourke Street, Melbourne



This is our second time here, and like the Boy mentioned, "Why do we bother coming back?"

I guess it's to justify that because they have been around for so long, there must be something good about their food... either that or everyone has lost their taste buds...



The first time I ate here, I had Mee Pok with Char Siew and Siu Yuk... and that was pretty much tasteless... the noodles had settled into the shape of the bowl and was quite disappointing overall...

They do have a wide range of food on their menu, which just means, I have yet to find the dish they do well...

We decided to pop back for a second visit, as I had cravings for Chee Kwuey (dedicated to Normancook as well)...

The Chee Kwuey was really good, topped with heaps of chai po (pickled turnip) and the chilli was just nice...



The Boy ordered dried Mee Pok with Char Siew and Fried Wan Tan... I quite liked the wan tan skins as they were sweet... but the Boy didn't finish his food...



I ordered the Curry Chicken Laksa.. and it looks a lot better in this picture than it tastes...

The soup was extremely watery... tasted like coconut water with red colouring... a great big disappointment...



The waiter was really sweet.. he kept checking on us and gave us free Chinese Tea... a possibility of the good service could be equated to the direct relation that we were the first and only customers of that bleary Saturday morning...



Maybe I am ordering the wrong things... but I will definitely come back for Chee Kwuey.. just nothing out of their main meals category *sigh*

Overall Food Rating: 5/10
Restaurant ambiance: 7/10
Value for money: 7/10 (this meal set us back $24)

How to get there:

View Larger Map

Singapore Chom Chom on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. The Chee Kwuey looks tasty, I can't remember when was the last time I had it.

    Haha...I had been to most of the curry laksa stalls in Melbourne cannot eat one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you're right.. most of the laksa stalls in the city are terrible!!

    So you need to go out into the suburbs =)

    Next time you come, call me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, was so-so while it lasted. Heard its closed, can't afford the rent.

    ReplyDelete

Share this with your friends!

Popular Posts