Thursday 16 July 2009

Oodles of Noodles - Noodle Recipes for the Soul

Back to food again.

Did I mention that the Boy had been home sick for the last 2 days with a bad case of cough?

Poor baby.

So what did I the "Masterchef" of the house decide to do? Soupy soupy oodles of noodles... incidentally... that is a song...go look it up youtube... it's actually quite funny...and er.. a tad iritating...

I made 3 different types of noodle soup for the Boy. The first 1 has got more detail than the last, as he was hurrying me for food (so the last noodle, only has a snapshot of the final product!)

First up, heat up some water in a medium large pot. Add in 1 chicken drumstick, 2 chicken necks (optional, I added it in for sweetness, alternatively you could use chicken frames)
Dried Chinese red dates and "kei chi", otherwise known as Lycium or Wolf Berry, or Goji Berry



Add in 3-4 dried shitake mushrooms (soak them in water first and then slice)



I like mincing my own chicken. I think I've mentioned this before. Helps destressing ^-^.. much more fun than stress balls 0_0



Mash up the mince chicken with preserved turnip



And roll them up into little chicken balls



For added flavour, chop up some garlic (about 3 cloves) and deep fry in a small pot with 2 teaspoons of the preserved turnip.

Gives the soup an extra "Oompph!", if you know what I mean... If not... meh!



1 person = 1 serving of vermicelli



Soak it in water to soften it... I often use warm water...



Another extra, but why the hell not...

Chop 1 chilli (or however many you want), soak in white vinegar and add 1-2 teaspoons of sugar... Yummm



Noodle 1 - With Vermicelli using the above method



Noodle 2 - With flat rice noodle (kuey teow) using the above method



Noodle 3 - Vermicelli with Barramundi fish and Chicken slices

I used a small pot for the soup.
Added sliced ginger into the boiling water.
Added in 4 smashed garlic cloves.
Added in chicken slices.
Added 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of light soya sauce.
Added the fillets of Barramundi fish.
Added Choy Sum and a handful of Bean Sprouts.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh you really have the patience. You got to cook AND you patiently photograph every step of your cooking. And by the way I vote Noodle #2 for Best Presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lols... Thanks!!

    It's not really that much of a trouble to photograph, cook and eat all at once! It's called multitasking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Multitasking. Only a char bor is capable to do that.

    ReplyDelete

Share this with your friends!

Popular Posts